How to Pick a Winner
What should you look for in a Kiliamanjaro operator? How do you pick a good one? What are things to look for? What are some of the questions you should ask the company?
As you can see from this company list, there are hundreds and hundreds of outfitters who provide climbing services in Tanzania. It can be daunting to determine which one to use.
Here are important things you should look for when you pick a Kilimanjaro outfitter:
1. They care about your mountain experience. Many outfitter are just looking to make money.
2. They have their own operation in Tanzania.
3. The recommend and use the best routes, like Machame Lemosho and Shira via the Western Breach.
4. They encourage you spend enough time acclimatize. The more time you spend on the mountain, the greater your chances of making it to the top.
5. They have good tents.
6. They provide experienced mountain guides.
7. There is good communication via cell phone and radio calls.
8. You have good food, some choice of meals, and bottled water.
9. They carry the best safety equipment on the mountain, and have backup plans for taking people down the mountain if they get sick.
10. They care about our porters (supplying them with tents, clothes and sleeping bags)
11. They respect the environment.